Popular type of home water purifiers are activated carbon, reverse osmosis, ceramic, UV or a combination of them. Choose one which has been tested and certified with the features that you are looking for. Independent organizations like NSF International or the Water Quality Association (WQA) have databases that consumers can easily search to learn more about the type of contaminants each model has been tested for.
Reverse osmosis system has a filtration rating of 0.0001 micron making it very effective at removing most of the contaminants found in our tap water. However the membrane does not block VOCs very well and it also removes healthy, naturally occurring minerals in water which our body need.
Activated carbon filtration system is effective in removing chlorine, sediment, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), taste and odor from water, retaining essential minerals. Typical particle sizes that can be removed by activated carbon filters range from 0.5 to 50 micron. They are not very effective at blocking heavy metal, radioactive substance and microbes.
1. Amway eSpring Home Water Treatment System
The eSpring Water Treatment System combines carbon block filter, UV light, and electronic monitoring.
Carbon block filter
Inside the eSpring Water Treatment System is an activated pressed carbon-block filter that effectively removes:
- chlorine taste and smell
- particulates down to 0.2 micron, which improves clarity
- more than 140 possible health-effect contaminants, including lead, mercury, VOCs, and the petrol additive MTBE
- readily bonds to many organic carbon-based compounds such as pesticides and herbicides, filtering them out.
Inorganic compounds like beneficial minerals, such as calcium, magnesium and potassium, pass through unchanged and remain in the water.
A patented UV light system destroys more than 99.99% of bacteria and viruses that may be found in drinking water.
‘Smart chips’ in the eSpring monitor keep track of the UV lamp and filter life, and an LED display lets you know when the cartridge needs to be replaced.
Initially the carbon activation process leaves an alkaline surface on the carbon that is similar to baking soda. This alkaline surface raises the pH of water that initially passes through the filter to the 9-10 range. This pH shift is well within the acceptable range for drinking water. After approximately 58 litres (15 gallons) have passed through the filter, the pH level drops to about 8.5. After 190 litres (50 gallons) have passed through, water pH is between 7 and 8, nearly identical to untreated water.
Certified by (for Amway) NSF International (NSF/ANSI Standards 42, 53, 55, 401, P473, P477) and earned the Gold Seal from the Water Quality Association.
Two years comprehensive product warranty (This warranty does not cover replacement parts and wear-and-tear components)
Lasts up to 5,000 litres or 1 year – about RM700 per cartridge
2. Coway Villaem 2 Reverse Osmosis (RO) Water Filter
Villaem 2 is a 0.0001 micron fine reverse osmosis filtration system with a big water tank capacity of 11.3L and elegant design.
What’s Behind the Filters
Neo-Sense Filter (Step 1: Plus Sediment + Step 2: Pre-Carbon Filters)
Removes particulates, chlorine, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and dissolved organic and inorganic impurities.
Step 3: RO Membrane Filter
Removes water contaminants such as heavy metals, harmful organic chemicals, microbes as well as radioactive substances are all removed.
Plus Inno-Sense Filter (Step 4: Post Carbon + Step 5: Fine Filters)
Reduces odours and improves the taste of water.
Step 6: Antibacterial Filter
Prevents growth of microorganisms inside the water tank.
All filters are certified by WQA, Halal.
The filters in STEP 1 &2 (CNFN11S), STEP 3 (CRMFN11-50) and STEP 4 & 5 (CIFN11-PLUS) are certified components by (for Coway) NSF/ANSI 42 (Aesthetic Effects), 58 (Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Treatment Systems) and 401 (Emerging Compounds/Incidental Contaminants)
- FOUR WATER TEMPERATURE WITH INDICATOR – Dispenses ambient, cold, warm and hot water
- MOOD LAMP – Illuminates the products when there is insufficient lighting during the night.
- DETACHABLE FAUCET – Detachable faucet for easy cleaning.
- POWER SAVING SYSTEM – The numbers of operating motors and heater decrease automatically at night to reduce power consumption.
- CHILD SAFETY LOCK – Keeps young children safe from accidental hot water burns.
- TANK CAPACITY – 6.4 Litres Ambient Water | 3.7 Litres Cold Water | 1.2 Litres Hot Water
The downside is the removal of healthy, naturally occurring minerals in water which not only provide a good taste to water, but they also serve a vital function in the body’s system.
Retail Price: RM3,900 (Free 1-Year Service For Outright)
Rental: RM120 per month (Free 5-Year Service For Rental)
3. Aqua-Pure DWS 1000 Drinking Water Filter Sytem by 3M™ (Undersink)
This filter has an advanced dual stage carbon block filtration system. You do not have to worry about cartridge change is easy and smooth as always. The filter comes with a complete installation manual that helps in easy reference and simple installation. You can also hire a plumber for the installation or do it yourself.
- Deluxe dual-stage system
- Special monitoring device shuts off water – as a reminder to change cartridge
- Fully enclosed filter media – No spill, no mess
- Sanitary Quick Change (SQC) design – Easy cartridge change-out
- Inclusive of installation fittings, faucet – Trouble-free installation
- Manufactured from FDA CFR-21 compliant material
- MTBE is an organic compound that is a volatile, flammable with a minty odor leading to unpleasant taste and odor in water.
- Chlorine taste and odour
- Sediment & rust
- Lead & parasitic protozoan cysts
- VOCs* (*VOCs include but are not limited to: Benzene, Toluene and Styrene) – Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are organic chemicals that have a high vapor pressure at ordinary room temperature. Some VOCs are dangerous to human health or cause harm to the environment.
- Nominal Particulate: Class I, ≥0.5 to < 1.0 μm
- Inlet/Outlet Size: 1/4″ (0.64 cm) tube
- Flow rate: 0.6 gpm (2.3 lpm)
- Micron rating: 0.5 micron nominal
- Dimensions: 40.6cm (H) x 27.6cm (D)
AP DWS 80/90 Cartridge for AP DWS1000 (RM467). Capacity: 625 gallons (2,365 liters) or 6 months
(for 3M) NSF/ANSI Standard 42 & NSF/ANSI Standard 53
3M Water Filtration System Dealers/ Suppliers Malaysia
XAMMAX, ATKC eWarehouse, Topware Solutions
ATKC eWarehouse @Shopee – RM1,794.55
LotusMart.com – HK$ 3,788.0
4. Doulton EcoFast & Ultracarb® 9504 Ceramic Water Filter (Under-counter)
This Doulton® water filter system provides instantly filtered water, straight from the tap with compact design fits discreetly under the kitchen counter.
- Outer Shell – Micro filtration of pathogenic bacteria, cysts, turbidity and particles
- Anti-bacterial formulation contains silver to prevent microbiological growth within the ceramic element
- Activated carbon block takes out chlorine, monochloramine and organics improving taste and odour
- Heavy metal reduction media takes out toxic lead
- Filtration Rating: 0.5 to 0.8 micron
- Filter Life: 6 months (under typical operation conditions)
- Flow Rate: Up to 200L/hour
Tested and certified by NSF against NSF/ANSI Standard 42 and 53 (Doulton) for reduction of particulate, turbidity, cysts, chlorine (taste & odour) and lead.
RM999.95 (MY SHOPNSAVE – doulton.com.my)
Doulton Authorized Distributor / Global Partner
MY SHOPNSAVE GROUP SDN BHD
E-3-22, Plaza Arkadia, No. 3, Jalan Intisari, Desa Park City, Kuala Lumpur 52200 Malaysia