Here are some signature dishes that represent the taste of Malaysia which have evolved through the years to have more local traits in them.
Photo: Satay Kajang Haji Samuri
Skewered grilled meat such as chicken, beef, lamb paired with rich peanut sauce and sambal – the perfect condiment to enhance the taste of the satay.
- Sate Kajang Hj. Samuri | G Flr, Bangunan Dato Nazir, Jalan Kelab, 43000 Kajang, Selangor – Satay Kajang Hj. Samuri’s succulent and flavorful skewered grilled meat is definitely a class above.
- Satay Station | 55, Jalan Pandan Kemajuan A, Kampung Pandan Dalam, 55100 Kuala Lumpur | sataystation – Beef satay is very chunky and juicy
Mee Goreng Mamak
Photo: Teh Tarik Place
Fresh egg noodles stir fried with tofu, veggies, potatoes, cucur udang (prawn fritters), fresh prawns, chicken meat, egg, chili paste and soya sauce. The recipe to a delicious plate of mee mamak goreng lies in the sauce that is usually made with roots such as shallots, garlic to boost flavor and with the right amount of sweetness, saltiness and spiciness.
- Teh Tarik Place | tehtarikplace.my | Various Locations in Klang Valley
- Nasi Kandar Pelita | Various Locations in Malaysia
- Melur and Thyme | Add: A-G-15, Blok A, Jalan PJU 1A/3J, Taipan 1, Ara Damansara, 47301 PJ, Selangor | melurandthyme.com
Photo: Deen Maju
A truly Malaysian food, Nasi Kandar originates from Penang. Customer picks from a wide variety of dishes and curries to go with white rice. The rule of thumb, there has to be an overflowing amount of sauce/ curry to banjir (flood or drench) the rice.
- Deens Maju Nasi Kandar | 170, Jalan Gurdwara, George Town, Penang – Definitely local’s top choice of nasi kandar stall, with over 7k mostly amazing reviews on Google | DeenMajuFacebook – Great curry and fried chicken
- Tajuddin Hussain Nasi Kandar | 45-63, Queen St, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang | TajuddinHussainFB
- Nasi Kandar Pelita Ampang KL | Add: No. 113, Jalan Ampang,
50450, Kuala Lumpur | Tel: 03-2162 5532 | pelita.com.my
Chef Fauzey Nasi Lemak Goreng
Photo: Chef Fauzey Nasi Lemak Goreng
This food truck located behind the old bus station at PJ Old Town, Section 3, offers a very unique twist to Malaysian good ol’ nasi lemak. The rice is fried with Chef Fauzey’s secret spice mix instead of the usual rice cooked in coconut milk. Popular side dishes are the ayam goreng berempah (spiced fried chicken) and sambal prawns. Long queue during dinner time when the stall opens. A meal would cost less than RM10.
Location: Jln Othman Bus Station, Petaling Jaya
Hours: Monday – Friday | 6.30 p.m – 10.30 p.m
Tel : 019 376 5886 | Chef Fauzey Facebook
Photo: Ana Ikan Bakar Petai
Fish (Siakap (Seabass), Snapper, Tilapia, etc.) or other seafood grilled with chili paste (dried chili, ginger, garlic, onions, dried shrimps, turmeric, galangal), tamarind juice, kaffir lime leaf, brown sugar, salt wrapped in banana leaf. This dish is aromatic, crispy, spicy, with a sharp tartness, perfect to eat with white rice.
- Ana Ikan Bakar Petai | Jalan Tanjung Lumpur 26060 Kuantan, Pahang | +60 13-998 9175 | AnaFacebook – Here you can pick from their wide selection of fresh seafood spread, and the cooking style to go with the seafood of your choice. Their specialty is the ikan bakar petai (stink beans).
- Ikan Bakar Seri Melaka, Jalan Bellamy | No 2, Medan Ikan Bakar Jalan Bellamy, Off, Jalan Bukit Petaling, 50460 Kuala Lumpur | SeriMelakaWebsite – There are a few ikan bakar stalls there, Seri Melaka is in the middle.
Banana Leaf Rice
Photo: Kanna Curry House
Rice, 3 vegetarian dishes served on a banana leaf with generous amount of thick and flavourful fish/ chicken/ mutton curry gravy, condiments such as rasam, raita (yoghurt salad) & poppadum. Top it off with the side dishes of your choice; fried chicken/ squid/ fish, chicken curry, asam fish, etc. You have the right balance of taste and spice.
- Kanna Curry House | 29, Jalan 17/45, Seksyen 17, Petaling Jaya, Selangor | +6016-201 6920 | KannaFacebook
- Acha Curry House | 42, Jalan SS 2/4a, SS 2, 47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor | AchaFB
- Curry Leaf Seremban | 1273-1275 Jalan Rasah, Seremban, Negeri Sembilan | CurryLeafSerembanFB